Life-long Learning & Vegetable Rice Curry
I love to learn new things. Doesn’t really matter what. I love to learn about food, cooking, nutrition & gardening, of course – they come naturally to me. But I also like to learn about science, medicine, astronomy, business, religion. I read lots of news & websites & blogs every day. I’m not much into light fiction for pleasure – I get pleasure out of learning!
Because of all this information swirling around in my head, I like to share some of the things I learn. Most friends know that when I get really excited about something, I will email them. They read it or delete it – it’s up to them. One friend laughed when explaining to her boyfriend why she uses coconut oil to cook – “It’s because T told me to.”
Very funny. No, that’s not why! I send the information & hope that friends will read & learn & make choices proper for their lives, their families.
Vegetable Rice Curry
A delicious vegetable curry, colorful & just a touch spicy.
- 3 pounds small Red Potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 large Carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon grated Fresh Ginger
- 2 teaspoons T’s Seasoned Salt
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Red Curry Paste (optional)
- 1 quart Vegetable Broth
- 1 (13.5-oz) can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 cups mixed Brown & Long-grain Rice
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1/2 cup Dry-roasted Cashews (optional)
- Add the first ten ingredients (nine if you don’t add the curry paste) to your large crock pot; Stir the ingredients to mix them up.
- Pour the broth & coconut milk over the vegetable mixture.
- Cover & cook on Low for 6 hours.
- Increase temperature to High & cook 2 hours.
- Stir in the rice when mixture is boiling; Cook 45 minutes.
- Stir well.
- Stir in frozen peas; Cover & cook five more minutes.
- Ladle mixture onto individual plates & sprinkle with cashews.
Thanks, southern section of the Search Committee, for being taste-testers & yes, I forgot to add the peas.