My Thyroidectomy Post 5
Because there was no obvious cancer in the biopsies, because with thyroid surgery there is a risk of damage to the nerves innervating the vocal cords with resulting loss of voice, because we had a new Choir Director who had just started to lead the choir & I am Choir President this year & because we have our annual Christmas At Covenant concert in December, DH agreed that I could wait until after the Choir Christmas Concert to have my surgery. I had relented. There was no way around it or out of it. My thyroid had to be removed. But by postponing it for 8 weeks, I had time to prepare myself mentally, emotionally & physically.
I told Greg, my personal trainer, that I wanted to be in the best shape of my life going into this surgery to decrease the chances that something untoward would happen. He agreed & held me to my word. He worked my behind off, demanding more of me than he ever had before, more than I thought I could do. But I did it!
I had consulted with my beloved chiropractor, Michele – she would help me in any way she could, making sure my supplementation was where it needed to be & she insisted that I take her cold laser home every weekend to reduce the inflammation in the neck area prior to surgery to decrease the chance that my vocal cords would be damaged.
I discussed this with my dear ONT, Dr. Q, my “voice doc” & he agreed that the cold laser was an excellent idea. He would monitor my voice, made sure nothing interesting cropped up prior to surgery in the voice box or sinus area.
I did not share that I was scheduled for surgery with a lot of people because…contrary to this public display of my writing, I’m kind of a private person…an introvert… I didn’t want to be a distraction to the choir with all the work we had to do for the Christmas concert. Also, we had some serious illness issues with a couple of choir members & mine seemed quite minor by comparison.
My wonderful prayer partners lifted me up to the Lord & again I waited.