Skip to content

My Thyroidectomy Post 7

January 18, 2013

“What time is it?” I asked.
“10:15,” the Recovery Room Nurse answered.
There was a lot of good news – I could talk. If there was nerve damage it wasn’t showing up right now. The surgery was to last maximum 2 1/2 hours. This was only 2 1/4 hours & I was already in Recovery! Must have been simple, nothing unexpected, no problems.
“May I please have a glass of water?”
More good news – the water went down without a hitch & that was very good because I have never been so thirsty in all my life!


“Can you stand up? You’re in the bed wrong. They put your head at the foot of the bed.”
“I guess so if you’ll get the inflatable legging nonsense off my legs.”
The next thing I know I’m standing by the bedside while they turn the bed around. That’s good! That means I do not have a urinary catheter in. I do not notice any drains attached to me from the surgical site & I feel pretty good considering…except…

Oh my goodness did the back of my neck hurt! I guess anesthesia didn’t give me the neck massage I knew I was going to need…& come to think of it, I don’t remember dreaming of puppies & kittens. I don’t remember dreaming about anything!
With my non-IV hand on the back on my neck, “Can I please get an ice bag or a heating pad for my neck?”
“Oh, ice only for the neck.”
“I’m not talking about the surgical site. I’m talking about the neck spasms from being hyper-extended. My head, neck & upper shoulders are killing me!”
“Sure. Ice.”

Wheeled down to Observation, DH was with me, quickly checked in, calves sore from the inflatable leggings so I didn’t put them back on – I just kept stretching the soreness out. Vital signs taken. Nurse Happy, my nurse, was very curt when DH taped up the “SCENT FREE ROOM” sign & presented her with the soap & sanitizer.


My adrenalin was wearing off & all of a sudden I was cold, shaking almost uncontrollably. Hurrah for the warm-air blower which DH put under my covers. Ahh! Love it!
The boys, SIL & Pastor Jack all came in to make sure I had survived. A squeeze of the non-IV hand & the guys were gone. SIL would stay to keep an eye on DH as he kept an eye on me.

“D, can you get me some ice or water, please?” Off he went to locate the ice machine.
A tray with lunch was brought in. “Uh, I think you can take this back because I’m not hungry, just thirsty & I’ve got to get some ice or heat on the back of my neck, please.”

Nurse Happy returns with a pain pill. “Take this.”
“What is it?”
“Here, I broke it in half to be easier to swallow.”
What – is – it?
At the same time DH & I spoke, “I’m allergic to hydrocodone. It’s on my chart!”
“It’s okay, this will help relieve the pain.”
“Not if I have an allergic reaction! No thanks! I’ll stick with ice!”
Oh, Nurse Happy was not happy. She didn’t come back into my room until almost shift change, 5 hours later!
(No, I haven’t written this to Vandy yet, but I absolutely am going to let them know they have a problem with Nurse Happy!)

DH kept me supplied with ice chips to eat, my coconut water to drink & ice packs for my head & neck.

One more Nurse Happy story. Near shift change she came into my room an announced, “You haven’t voided since surgery.”
“Actually I have, a couple of times as a matter of fact. Just got back into bed.”
She looked into the bathroom which is shared with another patient next door.
“You didn’t measure it? You didn’t use a toilet hat!”
“You didn’t tell me I had to & there is not one in there for me.”
She huffed out of the room returning rapidly with a toilet hat which she tossed on my bed & said, “Use this!”
With that she was gone & I say GOOD RIDDANCE!


  1. January 18, 2013 7:43 am

    I had my thyroid out 2 years ago, nasty surgery and I do not wish that on my worst enemy.

  2. Gayle Moody permalink
    January 18, 2013 8:10 am

    So glad you survived Nurse Happy! Really–it’s okay that you’re allergic, just take it anyway for your pain? Glad you were on top of that one!!

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: