The dwarf citrus trees seem to be quite content at their new home.
The oldest, biggest Meyer Lemon Tree is blooming like it hasn’t bloomed in 2 years. The question is – will the blooms hold & set fruit? No way to know until it happens.
I’m still seeing a few webs & some creepy-crawly critters on all the trees, including Myrtle, my Live Oak.
Happiest of all seems to be the spearmint. Just the right amount of sun & shade with plenty of rain.
Once I filed the house plan with the county building department, I was given a phone number to call to receive our 911 address. One simple phone call to a very nice lady at the 911 office (no I did not dial “911”) & an address was issued.
DH immediately drove to the department of safety office for his new drivers license, conceal-carry permit & he registered to vote. I’m waiting for the forms to come in the mail to do the same.
Then a visit to our local post office to make sure we were allowed to install a mailbox since the house wasn’t built. Yep. No problem at all. Even ran into our mailman, whom DH & I had met the day we walked the perimeter of the property a few months ago. “Where’s your gun?” he asked with a smile on his face. He remembered me!
DH & I set the post in concrete on Saturday & gave it a few days to harden. So on a very humid, but not too hot day, Lucy & I installed the mailbox.
I didn’t realize that DH’s toolbox does not include a Phillips-head screwdriver. My toolbox is in the apartment. There is a reason I always keep my multi-plier in my car!
With the sound of constant barking – nope, not Lucy, I placed the oversize mailbox on the post. Yappy Dog was making sure I knew she was supervising my work.
Woo Hoo! We now have an official mailing address in our new county & a mailbox to collect all our correspondence…bills mostly, but that’s okay!
In the southern US, raspberries ripen in late summer.
My dear friend, Joni, gave me these canes from her mother’s farm.
Poor things, they are in a old, large plastic pot that is falling apart. They need to be transplanted to the good dirt, but unfortunately that won’t be happening until I get a better idea of where exactly I want my berry patch to be.
Last week during choir practice, we noticed the newest window in the western transept catching our attention…
The setting sun was reflecting through the Chalice Window creating quite a stir in the loft.
Road to the top of the hill built. Septic system installed & buried. Water lines run from the road to the home site & buried. Brush pile cut down to size, bulldozed & burned. Propane tank buried. Trench for the electrical line to the barn dug. Dale’s work here is done until the home is built & almost ready for us to move in.
The next time I come up the driveway, the bulldozer & backhoe will be gone. But Dale is only a phone call away!
Out in the country, the gas company in town doesn’t provide gas lines, so to have a gas cooktop or gas heat for one’s home, one must have a gas tank.
I ordered ours from Southern Propane, the local provider & it has taken almost a month for it to arrive. After my phone call from the company scheduling delivery I immediately called Dale the Digger to make sure he was available.
When I arrived, Dale, having dug the hole for the tank a week ago, was at work smoothing the driveway with the extra load of rock we had. I opened the barn then climbed on the tractor to start bush-hogging while waiting for the delivery. I was very important in this process – I had the checkbook!
Just after 9am the big truck climbed our hill, stopping where Dale directed the driver. “That’s good chert,” the delivery man commented to Dale & they launched into a discussion about the various types of dirt encountered in this area.
The tank looked like a mini-submarine to me, even a periscope coming out of the top. Far too heavy to be placed without machinery, Dale moved his backhoe into place.
His new assistant, Jay the delivery man, attached the chain then stood back.
No wasted motion by Dale, the tank stayed level with little swaying.
Jay climbed on top once it was set down so he could release the chain…
…& make sure the tank was level.
“Just off “half a bubble.” “Do you have any 4-inch blocks left from the barn installation?” “No, we used them all.” “I have some in my truck. Let me get them.”
Before Jay climbed back into the hole Dale asked,” Don’t you want to take the anodizers with you so you don’t have to climbed out again?” “That’s a good idea,” Jay replied then headed back to his truck for 2 large boxes. “One romp, two rabbits, I always say. No reason to waste the trip up if you don’t have to.”
The anodizers are magnesium to keep the tank from rusting out.
Jay worked to connect 2 insulated wires from the anodizers to the tank periscope but seemed to be having some difficulty. “You need another pair of pliers? I got one right here in my pocket. I don’t leave the house without my pliers,” said Dale.
Plastic hood placed, though the regulators & copper wire must still be attached.
Then Dale the Digger began covering it lest a “tornado blow up & carry this thing all the way to Nashville.”
Result: Enough showing to make it functional once we have started house construction but deep enough to keep it from blowing away.
After writing the check I was back on the bush-hog hoping the promised cold front was coming soon.
Note: I took these photos with my phone since I forgot to bring my camera. None of the photos were enhanced, lightened or darkened. It was a beautiful day! The cold front did arrive just before I finished mowing.